Friday, January 30, 2009

Let the Right One In


Guten abend! Wie ghets?
German is a funny language, although I guess not as strange as English seems to them. I do like the ümlaut especially- there's something so special about two dots over a letter. Maybe it's pingüino that makes me feel this way... Anyways, taking a leaf out of the two stooges' books, I will attempt to review a movie. Now I'm not an actor, or a critic, or nearing any of those standards and this is just my non-eloquent and nontechnical opinion.

This movie was playing in the Varsity Theater in the U-District, and it is just a Norwegian film with English subtitles. It's called Låt den rätte komma in, or Let the Right One In, and is an excellent vampire movie. It's basically about this kid, around 12 years old, named Oskar whose life is pretty bad, with his parents divorced and getting bullied at school. But then some new neighbors- a girl named Eli and her father- move in. She gradually becomes an actual friend to Oskar and teaches him to stand up for himself, but she seems a little strange; she doesn't mind the cold and the snow, and is really good at puzzles :). A little while later, some odd murders took place while we (the viewers) see the criminal in the act... and if I keep going there might be too much given away.

But overall, this vampire movie follows the older, and arguably more real, myths, and has a really interesting plot. The filming and some stunts is really well done too- there are several shots that could be really pretty still camera pictures. It is not for the extremely squeamish, and is apparently rated R (I had no idea until around 5 minutes ago) because although there is not crazy blood or visible violence, it is a vampire movie :) and a very good one at that. I'm not going to try to give it a 'star' or 'buttery bag of popcorn' or even a simple number rating because of my wishywashiness. All I'm saying is that I recommend that you, especially my more movie-obsessed amigas, watch it.

Hmmm.... an ending quote...
" 'Cause I'm looking for internal truth and not a date"
Felicia Day as Penny in Dr. Horrible's Commentary! the Musical

Wow... that was a pretty long attribution. Is that what it's called? Anyways, probably only Brecht will understand anyways, so this whole last part was pretty useless. I'll be quiet now.

1 comment:

  1. its okay, at least i laughed about the whole penny thing :)
    and i really want to see this!!!
    and did you LITERALLY take a leaf out of my book?

    ReplyDelete